The amount of lessons I have learned definitely compensates for the extent of the struggles I have faced while student teaching. Throughout my life, I have opened my heart to children. I have not only pursued a degree in teaching, but I have also worked at multiple daycares and babysat for numerous families. While it is easy to sympathize with my students, a major lesson I have had to learn while student teaching is how to control the level of my sympathy. A classroom environment, as a student teacher, has put me in a position of authority that I have yet to venture into during my adulthood. With this authority, has come a new revaluation. In order to be a role model, I have to realize that I am not the parent of these kids. Although I love them, I need to put a barrier up between their lives outside of the classroom and mine. This barrier at first was hard to create, but was necessary. I have learned while connecting with my students, the importance of a relationship between a teacher and a student. One must be in a position of authority while being in a position of a mentor and a friend. My students have responded better once I learned to level these two out with my personal investment and emotional attachments to each child.
Of course I need to be aware of their struggles outside of school, but while doing this I need to refrain from placing judgement. I have seen teachers look at incoming students and judge them based on things they have seen or heard. It is so important to treat every child with the same empathy and understanding.
How have you all made sure to not place judgement on students based on what you have heard?
No comments:
Post a Comment