Thursday, March 10, 2016

Host teacher away, students will...?

Hello fellow student teachers!

My name is Emily Corkins and I am a senior at Johnson State College. I’m an art ed major and I’m student teaching at Lake Region Union High School in Orleans in the art classroom. 

My host teacher was out of the classroom yesterday and there was a sub in the classroom with me.  I was pretty much running the classroom because I’m always in the classroom and I knew what was going on.  I had problems with a couple of students talking back to me when I would give them instructions, tell them to get off their phones, or trying to get them to focus on their work.  This never happens when my host teacher is here. 


I was wondering if any one else had experienced this in their placements?  I wasn’t expecting classes to go as smoothly as when my host teacher is here but I also wasn’t expecting my student’s respect for me to go out the window while she was gone.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi, my name is Laura Lyle and I'm a Senior at Castleton University. I am currently in a middle school math classroom and have faced the same situations. Unfortunately it really takes time for students to see that your not just a substitute but rather their teacher. It took my students a few weeks for them to recognize that I was their teacher for the time being. The more the student's see you in charge of the classroom the better. Once I began to teach the 7th graders regularly they began to listen and follow my expectations in the classroom ultimately giving me the same respect as my mentor teacher. Assert yourself as many times as you can during the lesson so students understand they are expected to follow your directions as well. Keep with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! The saying goes when the cat's away the mice will play. Don't fret or beat yourself up. this happened to me yesterday. My cooperating teacher left for the afternoon portion of school due to her son being ill. As SOON as she closed the door I had four students that thought it would be fun to be mischievous. After feeling like a failure due to it being mid way through the semester, I spoke to some behaviorists and neighboring teachers, and guess what... this is absolutely normal. My guess is, you're kicking butt and this is just their way of intimidating or testing you. Remember, keep your head up and "fake it till you make it!"

    ReplyDelete