Tuesday, March 8, 2016

No need to be So Defensive! 😤

Hello fellow bloggees,

       Many of us, when we complete work and it's handed back, beome excited and look through quickly for two things: the grade, and any side notes we may be able to decipher throughout the teacher's chicken scratch and coffee stains. One of two reactions then follow. One may read the comments and understand that the teacher had differing views on the quality of work. This outcome usually results in the student trying a new approach, or strategy, on the next assignment in order to please the teacher. Then there are some students who'd read the comments and become 'up in arms' about the differing opinion of the teacher. They might then decide to defend their work to the teacher in hopes to 'clear things up'.
     For students who know that becoming upset and tiffin with the teacher is probably not the best solution, also understand that taking ownership of the grade and criticism is a way of showing responsibility and maturity, and allows for the most growth. But here's one thing you may not have even realized you've been doing...
   Have you ever taught a lesson or been given verbal feedback, and then feel the urge to quickly rebuttal with the fact that, you're right, but I think that happened because... or, yeah, I saw that happening but...? I know I have, and that's okay. If you ever find yourself in these kinds of situations, just relax and don't be so defensive. It's hard to understand that someone isn't calling you out on your flaws, yet simply offering their point of view on the matter, and suggesting a new strategy in order to better yourself.
   When one responds with certain words such as: yeah but, but, I was just, or other defensive comments, he/she is acting just as the student who felt the need to debate with the teacher about the grade. These defensive gestures are called thinking errors, and they act as verbal excuses for our actions. How will we ever grow as teachers if we are always making excuses? So hey, don't be so defensive. Remember, you don't have to always take their advice, but let them finish their complete though and say "thank you, I never saw it like that before. I'll keep it in mind for next time." This way they're feeling listened to and respected and you can allow the mental growth that comes from teaching! 😆

2 comments:

  1. Good discussion! Especially being reflective and learning from the constructive feedback is the core of student-teaching, this is an important thing you need to remember. We don't want to miss great opportunities to learn and improve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, this is a great point. I continually thought of what I do when this occurs. You made me more aware of how I respond and how I felt as a student when teachers would make these comments. The ideas on how to better think through these situations was awesome!

    ReplyDelete